Monday, October 1, 2012

Refashion: Tickled Pink

I really wanted a skirt, and I really wanted it to have a layered look. Enter this little ensemble.

Ok, the teal capris are obviously a no no with the shirt
So, I had this pink mesh shirt forever, and I also had a baby pink t-shirt that I haven't really worn in forever. So, I decided to combine the two into my layered skirt. First thing's first, I've got to chop the top of the mesh shirt and the solid shirt so it'll fit over my hips.
  It'll be a little short, but I can already see the cute.
My sewing machine is still on the fritz (mainly because I haven't bothered to get it fixed). I had a long time ahead of me with hand-stitching. First, I had to attach the mesh to the solid piece. I simply did a back-stitch hem around the top of the wannabe skirt.
  Yes, the edge is ragged, but no one will see it when it's folded over.


Next, it's time to get the elastic ready for the skirt. I got another skirt that has elastic and fits me well. I pinned a length of elastic around the inside of the waistband, then trimmed where the 2 ends would meet.

If only my finished skirt looked this professional...
Now it's time to get that elastic inside the skirt waistband. I turned over the edge of the skirt about 0.5" and hemmed it, leaving a small opening to thread the elastic into the skirt. I would share a picture of the turned over band, but it was so so messy. So instead, here's how I got the elastic threaded into the new waistband.
  Hello, safety pin
After I got the elastic threaded, I stitched the 2 ends together. Then I sewed up the opening where I had inserted the elastic. Tada, a new skirt is born.
A little short, but I love it.
A close-up of the layered effect
A little sass in my new ensemble

 

No comments:

Post a Comment