Sunday, January 27, 2013

Tidying: From Disaster Bedroom to Master Bedroom

Laundry is one of my least favorite chores. I don't mind washing and drying the clothes, but I abhor having to put them all away. So, I tend to let the clean laundry pile up on whatever horizontal surface is available.

Then, when I finally go to fold the laundry, I end up sorting through a wrinkled mess that I put back in the dryer for a winkle release.


And then, I get lazy and put the newly de-wrinklized laundry in a pile...and thus the cycle continues.

I decided enough is enough. I want to have my bedroom back. As it was, I always felt a little ashamed to have anyone go up there. For example, when I got my wedding dress, I asked Jade (little sister) to help me try it on. Now, Jade is family and she's played the role of my maid previously, but I was still a little ashamed to have her standing around my funky, cluttered bedroom. Now, I'm quite proud of my sleeping space. But as usual, I couldn't have done it without a couple of friends.

There's this guy.

Mr. Suck-it got all the big pieces off my carpet.
With my menagerie of pets, there was certainly a lot of hair and various dirt I had to get out of the carpet. Our Bissell is the one designed to help with pet hair. I really think that's just a marketing scam. After all, dirt is dirt, and if a normal vacuum can't suck it up, then there is something wrong with that vacuum. But since I have pets, I bought into the marketing scam when we purchased this Bissell a couple years ago. 

After a couple of hours of cleaning and vacuuming and emptying the dirt reservoir, out carpet looks great (or at least, less trashed).

Do you remember this guy?
Kaboom, not just for bathrooms...

Believe it or not, this product worked well on carpet stains. I'm sure the Kaboom manufacturers would never recommend using this on your carpet. I'm not even recommending you use it on your carpet. But my carpet has seen better days after years of being trafficked by humans, dogs, cats and ferrets. I wasn't really worried about ruining my already ruined carpet. And since I didn't have any other carpet cleaners in the house, I opted to give it a try. In my mind, it was better than nothing. And it actually worked fairly well on the carpet. If you have nothing to lose (i.e., you don't mind potentially ruining your carpet), you could certainly give it a try.

But my best buddy in this clean-up was him.
     My superhero! 

Without Cliff's help, I'm all too certain that I would not have had a successful cleaning experience. He did a lot of the vacuuming, he was the muscle moving the furniture around and he helped sort clothes into keep/donate piles. We helped keep each other motivated to get the room clean, and our hard work paid off.

Here are the before and after photos of what used to be my sewing area but is now the sitting area.



I thought I had gotten some "before" photos of the rest of my bedroom, but unfortunately, it looks like I may have accidentally deleted those. So, all I have to show are the "after" pictures. But considering how messy the sitting area was, you can imagine how messy the rest of the bedroom might have been.




Here's a close up shot of my new sewing area. I actually like having it in this location because it is right beside my vanity which not only has a bright light that I can use when refashioning, but there is also the little vanity bench that works perfectly as a sewing bench.


Finally, Cliff placed our little guardian atop the column in our room to watch over us while we sleep.

Meet Cliff's Mini-Me

That's right, we have a stuffed Cliff to watch over us while we sleep. If you think this is too cute (and why wouldn't you), you can make your own stuffed animal by clicking here.

So to sum up, laundry piles have been diminished, Kaboom works well as a carpet cleaner and having a nice, clean bedroom is great (although, I still find myself stepping gingerly in the dark because I forget there isn't clutter everywhere). What a nice getaway for me and my wonderful man!


No comments:

Post a Comment