Saturday, February 9, 2013

Refashion: T-Shirt Do Rag

Cliff and I have recently gotten bikes to go riding around the Greenway. I'm in training for a triathlon, and Cliff just wanted to get out and enjoy the ride. Whenever I exercise, I like to put my hair up in a bandana. Cliff had asked me if I could make a "do rag" for him that he could wear under his helmet. I had just the T-shirt that would work for this project.



Cliff loves his Marvel shirts, and he's especially fond of Spiderman. So, why am I sacrificing this shirt for head wear?


This...
And this
Unfortunately, this shirt took a tumble in the dryer with an ink pen, and these black stains are not going away. So, we got Cliff an identical shirt that he could wear, and this one became a project for me.
First, I made a diamond shaped patten on this shirt using a sharpie. I want to make sure that Spidey is front and center whenever Cliff has this on his head. 


Next, I pinned it over inside out, forming a triangle.



I ran it through the machine, leaving a small opening so that I could turn it right-side out.



This makes a really nice looking Spiderman triangle.



This is actually a little on the small side. I knew that I would need to make a couple of ties for the side. I took a couple of strips of cloth from the back of the shirt to make the ties, folding them inside out and running them through the machine.



Then I turned them right-side out and attached them to the inside of each side corner of the triangle.



After doing a quick fitting on Cliff's head, I got a feel for how small this do rag actually was. So, I decided to add a square panel to the top corner of the triangle, so that it would hang down and be positioned under the ties. I folded the raw cut edges over and ran them through the machine.



Finally, I put the square piece under the top corner of the triangle and sewed around the tip of the triangle to secure it to the "do rag".



Tada! Now Cliff has a Marvel-ous new headpiece to wear under his helmet.





No comments:

Post a Comment