Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Vegan Project: Shoney's Strawberry Pie

On Mother's Day, my sister-in-law prepared a lovely strawberry pie. She called it a "Shoney's Strawberry Pie", and I was excited to find a recipe for it. I knew the version she made probably had some animal products in it, and I wanted to see if I could veganize this pie. Challenge accepted!

A quick search of the internet led me to a recipe on Cooks.com (click here for the original recipe). I could tell that veganizing this recipe was going to be a snap. For directions on how to make the pie, just go to the original recipe and substitute the vegan ingredients. Here is my ingredient list and pictures of the process.


Ingredients:
1 vegan graham cracker crust
4 cups sliced strawberries
3 tbsp. white whole wheat flour
1 pkg. vegan strawberry gelatin (I used Simply Delish Strawberry Jel)
1 tbsp. strawberry preserves
12 pkt. Stevia
1 cup boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Add dry ingredients to boiling water and let set.

Add strawberries to jel once set.

Spread into pie crust.

Enjoy with a dollop of vegan whipped cream (optional).

Nutrition Facts*
Serves 8
__________________________________________________ 

Calories - 208
Calories from Fat -70
Total Fat - 7.8g
Saturated Fat - 5g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 187mg
Potassium - 127mg
Total Carbohydrates - 37g
Dietary Fiber - 3.4g
Sugar - 14.3g
Protein - 1.8g
---
Vitamin A - 0%
Vitamin C - 106%
Calcium - 1%
Iron - 4%
__________________________________________________

* Does not include amount for optional vegan whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment