Monday, January 7, 2013

Clean Eating: New Year's Chili

Being a southern girl, it's a tradition that we eat black-eyed peas and greens for New Year's. Ok, I admit, I'm a little behind. This year, I believe I had Chinese delivered for my New Year dinner. But today, I had a hankering for some tradition. So, I concocted this "chili" as a way to get my greens and beans.




 Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale
1 lb. of ground chicken breast
1 (15 oz. ) can of black-eyed peas
1 cube beef bouillon
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. onion powder

Directions:
Dissolve bouillon in 8 oz. of water.

Spray a large pot with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast and seasonings and cook until browned.



Trim kale from stems. Chop and rinse in a large colander. Drain and rinse blackeye peas in a large colander. Add peas, bouillon broth and chopped kale to to pot. Cover with lid and simmer for 10 minutes.



Stir contents of pot to incorporate. Add 8 oz. of water and cook for another 5 minutes until kale is wilted. Enjoy!



Nutrition Facts
Serves 4
Serving Size 408.5g
__________________________________________________

Calories - 166
Calories from Fat - 14
Total Fat - 1.5g
Saturated Fat - 0.1g
Cholesterol - 65mg
Sodium - 652mg
Total Carbohydrates - 13.1g
Dietary Fiber - 2.4g
Sugar - 1.3g
Protein - 27.2g
---
Vitamin A - 208%
Vitamin C - 135%
Calcium - 10%
Iron - 12%





No comments:

Post a Comment