Monday, September 17, 2012

Refashion: From Hippy Chick to Fashion Chic

I've been quite fascinated by the concept of refashioning. I'm a big fan of Jillian, the refashionista. When I saw this refashion on her blog, I have just the skirt that would work for it.

I used to love this in college.


Following Sarah's instructions on her blog, I started out by pinning down each side of my skirt approximately 8 inches from the waist band. I took in each side by about 5.5 inches.

Pinning the hem.

 
Next, I cut 2 horizontal cuts on either side to make the arm holes.
One of my new sleeves.

Next, it's time to run it under my machine to create the seams down each side under the arm holes.
What's the problem here?

So, there I was trying to sew my seams. It's the first time I've touched my sewing machine in years. I somehow remembered how to thread the bobbin and the needle. Then, the moment I started to whir the machine, the top thread broke. I took out my soon-to-be dress to practice on a random piece of cloth.
Hello old dog toy turned practice sewing cloth

I tried many different ways of threading the machine, and each time I began my practice, the top thread would break. I read that breaking thread could be a result of the thread being too old. So, I put my project on hold and went to buy new thread. With new thread in the machine, I was optimistic it would work. Nope. My hopes were sinking for my project.
But I would not be deterred. I grabbed my thread, a needle and sat in a chair under a light. For 2.5 hours, I hand stitched those 2 long seams up each side of my would be dress. It took a long time backstitching every stitch, but I knew it would make me happy to finish this project.
Not as straight as a machine, but not bad.

Once I had each side sewed up, it was time to cut off all that excess fabric.
You're out of here!

I applied fray block to each of the sleeves to keep all those ravels from getting worse.
Ravel be gone

Last, but definitely not least, I gave each of my new seams a nice press with my iron on very low heat.
This is the first time I've touched an iron in seven years.

And presto, after donning one of Cliff's belts, I now have an interesting new frock to wear.
   Ta da!
 
 
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yea! My little project is a success. I got complimented on my dress when I walked in the door. Then someone said "New dress?" My response: "Nope, old skirt."

    ReplyDelete